Sunday, May 27, 2012

Happy Anniversary




It was on May 10, 1970 in Oshkosh Wisconsin that Dan Johnson asked Nancy Cole to marry him. It has been an incredible ride ever since.

I had just gotten back to school (University of Wisconsin - Oshkosh) from my father's funeral. Dan was there to comfort me. And when he asked me to marry him, I said yes with no hesitation.

We have lived in many different places, have had many different and exciting experiences. But Dan has always been drawn to Alaska - the last frontier. So, with our girls grown and married with families of their own, we packed up and headed North.

Actually, in 2007 Dan flew deHaviland Beavers for Taquan Air in Ketchikan, but I remained at home (for various reasons). I probably thought I'd give in to him and he'd get it out of his system. He sent emails home to some of you in the form of "Letters From Camp Ketchikan." I flew up for visits 4 times that summer. I must admit, I too fell in love with Ketchikan (which is amazing because it rained every time I was here).

When my mom passed away in 2009, I knew Alaska was still tugging at Dan's heart and that this time I'd be going with him. In 2007 we celebrated our anniversary with a dinner at Bar Harbor Restaurant. In 2011 we again celebrated our anniversary there. So, this year it was a no-brainer..........Bar Harbor Restaurant. I had gotten to know the owner, Scotty, last year as he had a Fish & Chips booth on Dock 2. He had the best clam chowder I'd ever eaten. I called for reservations and just happened to mention that it was our anniversary.



We had a very nice dinner. Some people we know were dining at the table next to us (by chance) and Scotty came over to wish us a very happy anniversary.

It was a very nice ending to a busy work day for both of us. I think the Bar Harbor Restaurant is one of my very favorite places.

                                            So here's to another 41 years!


Bar Harbor right behind the restaurant

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gang,

    It's great to read your notes here. Very romantic...and COOL!!

    Alaska is the last frontier indeed. And the Beaver is synominous with this place. It is what also has drawn me, like Dan to all of this. And my wife Ruth, like you, has the fever. Once my arctic expedition work is complete, and especially when our boys go to college, Alaska will be our annual pilgramage too.

    For now we will have to live vicariously through you two, so keep the notes and pictures flowing!!

    Great blog.

    Ron & Ruth

    ReplyDelete