Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Getting Started

Dear Family and Friends,




On Sunday, 8 May 2011 Dan and I loaded up our car with everything we thought we would need in Ketchikan for the next 5 months (well, everything we thought we would need that would also fit into the Rogue). It was surprising how much we really could fit into the back with the seats folded down. Dan did have to limit me on the number of shoes I could take.


So Monday (the 9th) we started out driving I-43 to Beloit, then I-90/94 toward Madison, LaCrosse, into Minnesota, then South Dakota. As many of you know, Dan hates to drive. And when he and I flew our Cessna 185 to Alaska back in 2006, a trip that took 62 hours round trip, I flew for 20 minutes and Dan flew for 61 hours and 40 minutes. So, this road trip will take 5 days - which is about 40 hours to get to Prince Rupert, British Columbia. I will drive, probably 35 hours and Dan will drive probably 5 hours. Seems only fair, right?

Well, we got as far as Mitchell South Dakota the first day. I did all the driving (he owes me one hour). The weather was: rain/t-showers at Madison WI and 51 degrees. Rain ended just passed the Wisconsin Dells and we put our sunglasses back on near Mauston, WI. It was great when we crossed into MN as the speed limit went up to 70 mph. And everyone knows that 70 means you can drive 75. Afterall, it is only a suggestion, right? The other bit of good news was the gas prices - $3.91 per gallon and the temp was 69 degrees.

So, as I said, we got as far as Mitchell South Dakota the first night. Next day, we gassed up ($3.95/gal) and headed West. The weather was hazy and 66 degrees, which quickly got up to 73. At Wall, S.D. we again stopped for gas (no, really, we are getting 24 mpg) at $3.79/gal. Just past Wall the topography changed to large hills and deep valleys. Looking out over the land I thought about the early settlers crossing in covered wagons. I imagined them going along and then coming to the end of the plateau, looking out at the bad lands and exclaiming "Oh sh*t, we're scr*wed!"

Past Rapid City, S.D. the temp began to drop - 58 degrees, but it was sunny. Stopped for lunch at Sturgis. I can only imagine what it will be like in July when thousands of motorcycles will descend upon the little town for biker week. As we were going past Sundance Wyoming, the temp dropped to 46 degrees and a mist was falling. As we looked over to the right and left, there was snow still on the hill sides. by 2:13 pm Mountain time the temp had dropped to 45 degrees and the wind was so strong I had to man-handle the steering wheel. 45 miles south of Sheridan WY there was still a good amount of snow on the Big Horn mountains....and more rain. So much that I had to have the wipers on full blast. By Buffalo WY the temp had dropped to 43 degrees. I'm thinking we have seen the last of the warm weather. Stacie informed me that northern IL had a high of 80! But WE got gas for only $3.69!!! By the time we got to Billings MT it was still raining and the temp reached up to a balmy 46 degrees. We stopped for the night in Laurel, MT, found a Mexican restaurant and a couple of Margaritas. I drove the entire 9 1/2 hours....Dan now owes me another hour!

Oh, forgot to mention that the speed limit is now 75! And you know me, that means I can drive 80!!!!

I have tried to insert some pictures, to no success. I will try again later.
Bye for now,
Nancy and Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment